KONG, the maker of many pet products, has branded itself as having extremely durable products. If you have a dog that is an extreme chewer, KONG’s dog chewable supplies and the famous Kong dog toys should be at the top of your list.
But what about their dog beds? KONG has a supply of dog beds, from orthopedic memory foam to ergonomic loungers. KONG has been making these extreme rubber products for over 40 years, and they come in different dog levels: puppy, senior, classic, and extreme. Their products come with a size chart to know you have the right size for your dog.
As a dog owner, you know your dog’s bed is important. A lot of things happen there beyond sleeping. They spend a lot of their waking moments in bed too, just like humans. They’re thinking, playing, chewing…on what though? If it’s the bed, let’s hope you have a KONG bed because their products hold up.
So now the question for you: is your dog an average chewer or a power chewer? Because that will ultimately determine how durable the KONG dog bed really is. This article will focus on KONG dog beds, their durability, and the type of warranties that come with them…just in case your dog proves to be a champion chewer.
KONG Tough Plush Lounger
The KONG Tough Plush Ultimate Slumber Lounger Dog Bed is double strength with reinforced seams. The label also reads that it has reinforced rip-stop fabric with a slip-resistant bottom.
Description: This bed is among the new line of KONG products. It’s been available for a short time but is getting a lot of recognition from pet owners. The bed was designed with strength, durability, and comfort in mind. It has a reinforced rip-stop, a water-resistant fabric, with a slip-resistant bottom. The bed is also machine-washable, which is a simple fix for pet owners with a busy schedule. Just remove the cover and wash and dry. Its size (40” Lx30” Wx9” H) seems to be ideal for large dogs. It even offers additional support with the bolsters at each end.
KONG Bolster Cuddler Dog Bed
The KONG Bolster Cuddler Dog Bed has been around for a long time (since 2014) and is labeled as double-strength with reinforced seams and reinforced rip-stop fabric. It has a slip-resistant bottom.
Description: This bed should be perfect for small dogs to medium-sized dogs. Its size is 28” Lx22” Wx7” H. It’s made up of durable polyester and is chew resistant. The bolstered side walls provide extra support and comfort for the lucky dog that lands it. It makes a great sleeping bed for any dog. It’s durable and long-lasting and should prove to be tough enough for most dogs. The non-skid, non-slip bottom helps keep the bed in place, which is great for when your dog is jumping and playing around, and the cover can be taken off to be machine-washed.
KONG Orthopedic Mat Dog Bed
When your dog spends most of his time sleeping, orthopedic beds, or a memory foam bed may be just what he needs to keep his joints protected and relieve pressure points. The KONG Orthopedic Mat Dog Bed is meant to do just that.
● Description: This bed is specifically engineered to offer your pet the extra support it needs. Although there are no side walls, the memory foam cushion is designed to offer the ultimate support a dog needs to be comfortable and strong for durability. It’s water-resistant with reinforced rip-stop and seams. It is also machine washable and has a skid-resistant bottom that prevents it from sliding all across the floor even when your dog is not behaving at his best. It’s made from 100% polyester and filled with a denim batting slab. Its dimensions are 38” Lx30” Wx5” H, so it is bigger than the KONG Bolster Cuddler Dog Bed but slightly smaller than the KONG Tough Plush Lounger. This would make the perfect bed for a medium-sized dog.
KONG Dog Bed Warranty
The KONG dog bed warranty offers a 60-day satisfaction guarantee on all products purchased from one of their authorized sellers and not from unauthorized sellers. It also states that the guarantee covers KONG toys, recovery collars, and consumables only. Claims cannot be taken over the phone, only through their website.
While you will find KONG products purchased at places known for having an abundance of pet supplies, double-check the warranty before purchase to ensure the 60-day guarantee will be honored.
To see the full Kong guarantee and replacement form, go here:
Other Notable Things About KONG
KONG brands itself as being the maker of incredible dog products, especially chewables that are available according to the size of your pet. In fact, their products are a great source for training and growing your dog.
These beds appear to be their most notable and recognized dog beds. Here are just a few things to note about their beds:
● Price: KONG beds are more expensive when compared to similar products, in most cases over twice as much as comparable beds. Purchasing the beds from a pet store may get you a better price compared to the market.
● Color: The beds are only available in one color (gray), which may or may not be a good thing, depending on your decor. If you’re looking for something with more pop and different color, this may not be the bed for you.
● Durability: KONG beds are noted for durability. There is no guarantee as to how long these beds should last, but depending on the chewing level of your dog, it could be anywhere from a few months to a few years. While they are durable, they are not a chew-resistant dog bed. This means the bed is not an indestructible dog bed. Expect that over time, if your dog is a power chewer, they will be able to eventually make progress and chew through the bed. Dog owners with aggressive chewers should keep an eye on their pets beds, ensuring they are in good condition and the dog has not ripped it open.
What’s Good About KONG Dog Beds
KONG dog beds are available for most dogs, as they have a variety of sizes that fit most dogs. Their beds are extremely easy to care for. You can vacuum them as well as take the protective cover off and throw it in the washing machine. KONG beds are soft for sleeping and laying around in and are also skid-resistant. They are also known to be durable for most dogs.
While there is no such thing as a full chew-proof dog bed, the Kong line of products is known for its toughness and that extends to the beds listed above.
Why Do Dogs Tear Up Beds?
Dogs sometimes chew beds in times of stress, anxiety or panic. Usually, this is caused by separation anxiety, but it’s important to consider what type of dog you have and if there are any other concerns to address beforehand.
Dog owners should check your pets for any abrasions, rashes, or sores. If your dog is scratching or licking a lot they may be reacting to the material their bed is made from. Your dog may also just need their bed cleaned or completely replaced. Much like us humans, if your dog is uncomfortable they will show signs of it, and one can be obsessive chewing or full on tearing of their bed. You can also ask your vet for suggestions on reducing their anxiety levels, everything from CBD to prescription options are available.
Should You Buy A Kong Dog Bed?
Kong is a trusted brand in the pet industry and they do make some high-quality products. That’s why we recommend Kong for tough chew toys, but not necessarily for tough chewers that need durable dog beds. Their expertise in creating tough toys doesn’t translate to those looking for chewproof dog beds. Especially for those of us that have larger dogs that are power chewers.
With that, never fear, we have some great alternatives with a reputation for standing up against destructive chewing…
Kong Bed Alternatives That Stand Up to Dogs Chewing
Now that you have browsed some Kong options for chew-resistant dog beds, you can take a look at some alternatives. The following dog beds are as resilient to chewing as the Kong dog beds if not more. Are they impossible to chew through? No, but they are more durable and can hold up against power chewers.
A great alternative to the traditional foam stuffed bed, the K9 elevated bed has thousands of 4.5 star or better Amazon reviews. While there are some reviews showing destruction of the material, it should be known that no bed is perfect. We don’t recommend this for younger pups who might have a lot of energy and not fully understand that this is their bed. But if your dog is like ours, and occasionally has the desire to scratch or chew, this is a nice alternative.
“For dogs who persistently chew their beds, and who’ve turned lesser dog beds into a pile of rags. “
Things You’ll Like:
- Bed is made from lightweight strong aluminum and ripstop ballistic fabric.
- Designed to fit standard size dog crates. This crate dog bed fits snuggly (not tight) without any gaps. This helps keep your dog safe in his crate, and also helps prevent damage.
- 120 Day Chew Proof Armored Warranty – If your dog chews through or damages any part of their bed within 120 days of receiving it, K9 will replace the damaged component(s) once free of charge.
- Multiple colors to choose from (Black and Blue).
What you should consider:
Although this product is very durable, it can be torn or chewed through successfully by extra-destructive dogs. That being said, it is stronger than many other products that are advertised as being chew-resistant.
I have a pair of pants from Carhartt used for rock climbing, mountain biking, and getting things done around the house. 10 years these pants have lasted me without any holes or abrasions…momma would be proud! So when we came across their dog beds we had to pick one up and see how it lasted. So far, 2 years into use, and I see little to no wear on the material. Harvey seems to really like it, although I wonder how much of that has to do with the canvas material being nice to scratch at.
Things You’ll Like:
- Canvas material is warm in the winter and cool in the summer months.
- Exterior shell in 12-ounce, firm-hand, 100% ring spun cotton duck canvas for durability. A plush sherpa top creates an added layer of warmth and padding to ensure your dog rests easy
- Washable shell with fully removable polyester fiber filled cushion. Extra wide YKK zipper that is concealed under zipper flap
- Multiple sizes to choose from: Small (20″ x 28″ x 4.25″) Medium (27″ x 35″ x 4.25″) Large (33″ x 41″ x 4.25″)
- Multiple designs and color options
What you should consider:
Some options have the soft sherpa top and some are straight canvas. We got the non-sherpa top for the garage and the sherpa top for the bedroom (yes, Harvey is spoiled – ha!). Although it mentions it being water resistant, I would argue that’s only if you catch any messes early. Eventually all material soaks through and all beds can be chewed…it’s canvas, it’s Carhartt, not perfect but a nice option that has lasted us a lot longer than a standard soft cotton bed.
Looking For A Chew-Proof Dog Bed?
Thank you for reading our guide about the quality of Kong dog beds. We hope to have answered many of your questions and concerns. If your dog is just light chewer, then it might make sense to purchase a Kong bed. But it likely makes more sense to go with one of the alternatives listed above. The K9 Ballistic dog bed is0 much tougher, backed by a solid guarantee, and sold at a reasonable price. The value they offer far exceeds Kong dog beds. The Carhartt option has held up to our obsessive chewer over time and continues to provide him with comfort for those long naps all day.
To purchase one of these dog beds and support our efforts for protecting wildlife, pets, and the environment, click on any of the links in this article.