Picture a leisurely walk with your furry friend that doesn’t turn into a frustrating tug-of-war. Imagine an epic outdoor hike where a harness transforms from a mere walking aid into a versatile piece of gear, adept at carrying supplies and aiding your dog over obstacles. And now, consider the unforeseen—a car collision with your beloved pet aboard. These everyday scenarios in our pet-centered lives demand solutions that a constrictive collar simply can’t provide.
Enter the dog harness, a game-changer. At FurBallFun.com, we’ve delved deep, meticulously researching, testing, and vetting an array of dog harnesses to present you with the perfect answer. Our rigorous evaluation guarantees that the harnesses we endorse not only deter pulling but also surpass the safety quotient of conventional collar-leash setups, steering clear of potential choking hazards.
With FurBallFun’s unwavering commitment to comprehensive testing, you can confidently select the best dog harness, ushering in a seamless, enjoyable, and safe walking journey with your cherished canine companion.
Best Dog Harness With Handle
We love the Ruffwear Flagline Harness! It’s lightweight, easy to put on and take off, and has six points of adjustment for a perfect fit. It also has three leash attachment points, a padded handle, and a load-dispersing chest/belly panel that makes it comfortable for my dog to wear. We use it for everything from everyday walks to hiking and camping, and it’s always been reliable and comfortable.
Here are some of the things we love about the Flagline Harness:
- Design: It’s lightweight and breathable, so my dog doesn’t get too hot when we’re wearing it. But in the hot summer months, I add the Ruffwear Swamp Cooler Core, a harness add-on that slowly evaporates water to keep your dog cooled off.
- Ease of Use: It’s easy to put on and take off, even when my dog is wiggly. The six points of adjustment make it easy to get a perfect fit.
- Control: The three leash attachment points give me flexibility in how I attach my dog’s leash. The padded handle makes it easy to lift and assist my dog if he needs help.
- Comfort: The load-dispersing chest/belly panel helps to distribute weight evenly, so my dog is comfortable even when we’re carrying a lot of gear.
If you’re looking for a lightweight, comfortable, and versatile dog harness, I highly recommend the Ruffwear Flagline Harness!
Note: This handle and harness are meant for light-assisted lifting…think up and over a fallen tree or in between a rocky area. Although built to last, we don’t recommend it for rock climbing or belay activity…If you’re looking for that option, check out the Ruffwear Doubleback.
Best No Pull Dog Harness
I’m a big fan of the Rabbitgoo No Pull Harness! It’s a great option for dogs who tend to pull on the leash, and it’s also one of the most affordable no-pull harnesses on the market.
The Rabbitgoo No Pull Harness uses a front-leash attachment system to discourage pulling. When your dog pulls, the leash applies pressure to its chest or makes it spin back towards you, discouraging them from pulling and eventually teaching them to stop pulling. The harness also has four adjustable straps to ensure a snug fit, and it comes in a variety of colors to match your dog’s personality.
I’ve used the Rabbitgoo No Pull Harness with my own dog, and I’ve been really impressed with how well it works. It’s helped to reduce my dog’s pulling significantly, and it’s made our walks much more enjoyable.
Here are some of the things I love about the Rabbitgoo No Pull Harness:
- Price: It’s relatively affordable in comparison to other options.
- Ease of Use: It’s easy to adjust with multiple points that stay in place after getting the right fit.
- Design: It comes in a variety of colors and has reflective material for added safety.
- Effectiveness: The problem here is your dog pulls and commands the walking experience. With this harness, it uses a front-leash attachment system to discourage pulling, which seemed to work really well in our testing. Make no mistake, it’s not magic, and as with any training experience, consistency is key.
- Durability: The materials seemed to be of quality. A few of the dogs even rolled around with it on, and one got rained on during a walk. After a month of use, it still seemed relatively new.
- Setup: The harness was easy to adjust to the different dogs we tried it on, and only took a few seconds to put on and take off.
- Comfort: The padded chest and belly panels make the harness comfortable for your dog to wear.
- Control: While not our top pick for a harness with a handle, the back handle makes it easy to grab your dog if extra control is needed.
- Safety: The reflective strips make your dog more visible in low-light conditions.
Overall, our testing shows the Rabbitgoo No Pull Harness is a great option for dogs who tend to pull on the leash. It’s affordable, easy to use, and comfortable for your dog to wear.
Best Dog Harness For Car
We have never been so torn about a product review as this product. As dog parents, we want the absolute best for our fur baby, but we also know that safety and practicality are important factors to consider when choosing a car harness.
We started by researching the highest-quality and safest harnesses on the market. Purchasing several to get hands-on experience and feedback from our “fur-testers.” These harnesses were incredibly well-made and met all safety standards, but they were also expensive and difficult to use.
Finally, we landed on the Kurgo Tru-Fit Enhanced Strength Dog Harness. This harness seemed to be the happy medium for all criteria, including safety, comfort, ease of use, and value. It’s crash-tested for dogs up to 75 pounds, has a no-pull D ring for training, and five adjustment points for a customized fit. It also comes with a dog safety seat belt tether that is compatible with any car seat belt system.
I’m so glad I finally found the perfect car harness for my dog. It’s safe, comfortable, and easy to use. I can’t wait to take him on our next road trip!
Why we love it:
- Dual-purpose: This harness can be used for both walking and car travel, making it a great value for pet parents who want one product that can do it all.
- Crash-tested: The Kurgo Tru-Fit Enhanced Strength Dog Harness has been crash-tested for dogs up to 75 pounds, ensuring that your furry friend will be safe in the event of an accident.
- Durable: The harness is made with metal nesting buckles for durability and strength, and it has five adjustment points to ensure a perfect fit for your dog.
- Comfortable: The harness is made with soft, breathable materials that will keep your dog comfortable on long walks or car rides.
- Design: The harness is available in a variety of colors to match your dog’s personality. It has a nice-sized chest plate that provides safety but also doesn’t encumber our dog’s movement.
- Cleaning: It is machine-washable for easy cleaning.
- Warranty: The harness comes with a lifetime warranty, so you can be sure you are making a wise investment.
Overall, we think the Kurgo Tru-Fit Enhanced Strength Dog Harness is the perfect choice for pet parents who are looking for a safe, comfortable, and versatile harness for their furry friend.
Best Dog Harness And Leash Set
The Voyager Harness and Leash Set from Best Pet Supplies is the perfect choice for pet parents who are looking for a stylish and functional way to keep their furry friend safe and secure.
Why we love it:
- Dual leash attachment points: These help to reduce pulling and give you more control over your dog.
- Durable materials: The harness is made with tough materials and durable hardware that can withstand even the most adventurous pups.
- Multiple adjustment points: These ensure a snug and secure fit for your dog, no matter its size or shape.
- Extra padding: This helps to ensure all-day comfort with no chafing.
- Super-reflective piping: This enhances your pet’s visibility during early morning and late evening strolls.
- Design: The harness and leash are available in a variety of colors to match your dog’s personality and style.
- Cleaning: The leash is made with a durable nylon material that is easy to clean.
- Warranty: The set comes with a lifetime warranty, so you can be sure that you are making a wise investment.
Overall, we think the Voyager Harness and Leash Set is a great value for pet parents who are looking for a stylish, functional, and safe way to keep their furry friend happy and healthy.
Want something in Pink? Check out our Pretty in Pink: Trendy Pink Dog Collars and Accessories article.
Best Dog Harness for Large Dogs
The Rabbitgoo Large Harness shouldn’t surprise anyone as our top large dog harness. We selected it as our favorite no-pull harness, and for good reason. It comes in sizes suitable for large and extra-large dogs, like German Shepherds, Labrador Retrievers, Golden Retrievers, and Huskies. You can pick from about a dozen colors. It comes with front and back loops and reflective strips for high visibility. But why we picked a large dog was the balance between comfort, control, and safety. It has soft and padded sections for a comfortable and enjoyable experience for your large dog while providing reliable attachment points in several locations for added control.
Why we like it:
- Ideal Fit: We found this adjustable dog harness suitable for a wide range of breeds but seemed to exceed for our large dogs like Golden Retrievers, Huskies, Labradors, Alaskas, German Shepherds, and more. It was crucial to measure carefully before selecting a size, to ensure a perfect fit for your furry friend.
- No Pull, No Choke Design: One of the standout features of this harness was its thoughtful design, equipped with two metal leash rings for added safety during walks. During our tests, we were impressed by its effectiveness in curbing pulling behavior. The chest attachment clip proved particularly useful for training and strong-pulling dogs, while the back ring was great for various activities.
- User-Friendly Design: Putting on and taking off the harness was a breeze, thanks to the two fast-release buckles. Our testing showed that sliding the harness over the dog’s head, buckling up, and adjusting the straps were simple steps. The top handle provided extra control, and the harness’s lightweight nature and easy-to-clean material were added bonuses.
- Tailored Fit with Safety: The harness’s full adjustability was a highlight. With four adjustable straps around the body, including two neck straps and two chest straps, achieving a perfect fit with room for growth was easy. During testing, we observed no instances of slipping out or discomfort, ensuring both safety and comfort.
Best Dog Harness for Medium Dogs
The PHOEPET for medium-sized dogs could be a contender for the overall category. It comes fully equipped with rings, buckles, handles, and reflective strips to help keep your dog visible while you’re out enjoying the indoors together. Those who purchased it rate it highly for value, comfort, and ease of use, and during our testing, we would concur. If you are unsure about a harness, this might be the best place to start.
Why we like it:
- Easy to Put On & Take Off: We were impressed with the updated design featuring three buckles—one on the neck with a lockable feature and two on the chest. No more struggling to fit it over the dog’s head. This innovation made our testing dogs truly enjoy wearing the harness.
- No Pull with 2 Hook Loops: We noticed the inclusion of two sturdy metal hook loops for leash attachment. Testing revealed that utilizing the front hook on the chest significantly reduces pulling, making walks much more pleasant. While it didn’t make our Best no-pull Harness pick, it is a contender, although most of our testers prefer the back hook. Either way, having the option was a plus.
- Reflective Material: Talk about bling bling and safety matters, especially during evening strolls. The reflective material on this harness caught our attention. As darkness falls, your dog remains visible, providing drivers ample reaction time. Our tests showed this feature truly enhances your dog’s safety.
- Useful Handles: The handle on the back stood out for its usefulness. During testing, it proved helpful in maintaining better control over dogs prone to lunging. It could have a bit more padding, but for the occasional moment, it got the job done. It also came in handy when assisting dogs into vehicles, adding to its practicality.
- Customer Service: This was a standout feature for us. The assurance of exceptional customer service, including the availability of refunds or replacements for any quality issues, instilled confidence in the product’s durability and the company’s commitment to customer satisfaction.
Best Dog Harness For Small Dogs
The Rabbitgoo harness is perfect for dog breeds like Chihuahuas, Pugs, and terrier breeds on Amazon. It comes in a rainbow of colors and has a front clip and a back clip for your convenience. With more than 135,000 customer ratings giving this harness an almost-perfect score, reviewers say it’s easy to install and use, and it’s comfortable for your lap dogs and made of durable materials.
Why we like it:
- Tailored for Small Breeds: Our evaluation revealed that this small dog harness is designed with smaller breeds in mind, such as Chihuahuas, Havanese, Corgis, Pugs, Puggles, Terriers, and more. We emphasized the importance of measuring accurately before selecting the size, ensuring the perfect fit for your petite companion.
- Effective Design: The standout feature of this harness was its meticulous design, featuring two metal leash rings that excel in promoting safer walks. Our tests demonstrated the effectiveness of the chest attachment clip in curbing pulling behavior—ideal for training and dogs prone to pulling. The back ring, on the other hand, was a great fit for a range of activities.
- Effortless Use: Our testing showed that using this harness was a hassle-free experience. With its two fast-release buckles, putting on and taking off the harness was a breeze. Simply slide it over the dog’s head, buckle up, and adjust the straps, and you’re ready to go. The top handle added an extra level of control, and the harness’s lightweight nature and ease of cleaning were notable benefits.
- Customizable Fit and Security: The harness’s full adjustability impressed us. With four adjustable straps encircling the body, including two neck and two chest straps, achieving a snug fit with room for growth was simple.
- Comfort and Safety: The harness excelled in providing a secure and comfortable walking experience. Constructed from durable nylon oxford and featuring soft cushion padding, we found it to be gentle on the dog’s skin. The breathable air mesh was particularly effective in keeping dogs cool during outdoor activities. Additionally, the highly visible reflective strips enhanced safety during walks, whether it was day or night. Further, Our tests indicated no issues with slipping out or discomfort, ensuring safety and comfort.
Benefits of Using a Dog Harness
A dog harness is more than just an accessory – it’s a tool that enhances your dog’s safety, behavior, and overall walking experience. Whether you’re dealing with a spirited pup, a curious canine, or an escape-prone explorer, the right harness can transform your walks into moments of joy and connection.
- Control and Comfort: Walking a dog can be exhilarating, but it can also lead to strain, especially with an enthusiastic puller. Conventional collar and leash setups might result in your dog choking and wheezing from their own excitement. A well-fitted dog harness offers improved control and transforms daily walks into safe and enjoyable experiences for you and your furry friend.
- Reduced Neck Strain: Traditional leashes and collars direct all the pulling force directly to your dog’s neck, which can be harmful. However, a harness evenly distributes this force across their chest and belly, minimizing the risk of self-inflicted injuries while pulling. This thoughtful design reduces stress on their neck and throat, ensuring their well-being.
- Enhanced Walking Pace: Employing a no-pull harness, which attaches at the front, discourages pulling behavior. This mechanism not only encourages a more manageable walking pace but also prevents your dog from attempting to drag you along. With a harness, you regain control, avoiding strained arms and shoulders.
- Prevent Tangles and Injuries: Harnesses offer the additional advantage of preventing leash tangling, benefiting both you and your furry companion. You can steer clear of leash-related accidents and maintain a safe distance from potential hazards during walks. This is especially important for energetic dogs prone to getting entangled.
- Escape Prevention: For dogs with narrower heads relative to their necks, such as greyhounds, slipping out of collars can be a concern. A well-fitted harness provides a secure fit, making it considerably more challenging for any Houdini-like attempts to escape during walks. This ensures their safety and your peace of mind.
What are the Different Types of Harnesses?
There are not as many types of dog harnesses as there are types of dogs, thank goodness. It will be easy to find the best dog harness for your dog. There are four main types of dog harnesses, which are: front-clip dog harnesses, back-clip dog harnesses, dual-clip dog harnesses, step-in dog harnesses, and a safety harness.
Front-Clip Dog Harness
A front-clip dog harness is a great solution for a dog who likes to pull like a sled dog when you’re taking a walk. The leash clips in at their chest, meaning if they pull, they’re going to turn back around towards you. The dog will learn if they pull too much, they end up facing the wrong way, so they will learn to walk without pulling at the leash so much.
Back-Clip Dog Harness
Back clip dog harnesses are a great choice if your dog is already a pro at going on walks without pulling. They still provide better control over your dog since they wrap around more of your pup, and if properly fitted, will prevent any sneaky escapes. The Pawtitas Reflective Step in Dog Harness has a simple strap construction and is a great option for smaller dogs or for people training young dogs.
Dual-Clip Dog Harness
Many dog harnesses have built-in clips on the front and back, giving you the best of both worlds. You can clip your leash to the back for casual walks and hiking or switch to the front if your dog is getting too excited and forgetting to give your leash some slack. The Embark Adventure Dog Harness has clips on the front and back, so you can switch as needed. It has soft padding to keep the straps from digging into your dog’s skin.
Step-In Dog Harness
If your dog is a little nervous about having a harness go over its head, a step-in harness might be the right option. It’s just like it sounds. To put on the harness, you have your dog step its front paws into the leg holes. Like the other harness types, you’ll want to find one that’s the right size
for your dog, made of comfortable, breathable, and durable materials. Amazon’s choice for step-in dog harnesses is the Gooby Escape Free, which is rated highly by customers for comfort, stretch, sturdiness, and durability. It also has a quick-release buckle to help you get the harness off and on quickly.
Dog Harness For Car
It’s not a secret that most dogs love to go on car rides. While it can be fun and exciting to enjoy car rides together, studies show it’s just not safe for your dog to ride along with you when they’re not secured with a safety harness. A 2019 study co-sponsored by Volvo and the Harris poll showed that letting pets move around the car unrestrained can double the amount of distracted driving you do. It also stresses out both you and your dog; both humans’ and dogs’ heart rates were lower during drives when the dog was properly restrained.
Safety Harness/Seat Belt
There are other reasons you should invest in a safety harness for your dog to wear when it is riding in your car. In the case of a collision, unrestrained dogs can be ejected from the car, causing injury or death to your best friend. Unrestrained pets are often lost during accidents, running away from the scene. Also, an unrestrained and stressed-out dog can interfere with the job of first responders trying to provide medical care to everyone involved in the accident.
Car safety harnesses should tether your dog to the seat and/or attach to the seat belt. This safety harness is highly crash-tested for safety standards in the United States and Europe. The seat belt feeds through two loops on the back and keeps your dog safe and secure for your trip.
Does My Dog Need Both a Collar and a Harness?
You may be wondering why your dog needs a collar if they’re going to be wearing a harness for their walks or car trips. While the harness is your best bet for safe walks and car rides, your pup’s collar is still the best way to keep their identification easily at hand unless you have easy access to a microchip scanner.
Your dog should be wearing a collar basically any time they’re outside and have even the slightest chance of getting loose. That way, their identification, and hopefully your contact information, will be right there with them so you can be reunited as soon as possible. That said, a harness is still the best option for walking, biking, hiking, or running with your dog.
Let’s Keep Walking Forward…
We may not always use our harness for Harvey when going on casual walks down the road. But when hiking or long travels, it’s nice to have the extra security and reliability of a dog harness.
For regular, simple collar leashes, be sure to check out our Best Dog Leash list. Hopefully, you found an option on our best dog harness list, and the information related to be helpful.